Soba-Uchi (Making Buckwheat Noodles) at Togakushi Tonkururin
Nagano is famous for soba noodles. You'll find soba restaurants wherever you go. But the most delicious soba noodles are: the ones you make your self! Learn how to prepare the buckwheat flour, kneed it, roll it flat, fold it, and use the special soba knife to cut the thin noodles. Afterwards, see how to cook the noodles and then delight in eating your creation!
"Unique Nagano" Recommendation
Togakushi in one of Nagano's main growing areas for soba (buckwheat). So it makes sense that some of the highest quality soba noodles can be had here, especially when made with crystal clear Togakushi spring water and eaten in Togakushi's fresh mountain air. Tonkururin is the Togakushi Soba Museum and Soba-Uchi (soba noodle making) Center. Learn soba-uchi from a master.
By Car: From Nagano IC on the Joshin'etsu Expwy, take Route 35 north to central Nagano, following signs to Togakushi. Tonkururin is on the Togakushi Bird Line (Route 506), approx. 27km, 50 min. By Train: From Nagano Station, take Bus #70 or #71 and get off at the Soba-Hakubutsukan stop (52 min.)
Instruction in Japanese. Sessions offered at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00 and 16:00. Soba museum also on the premises. "Tonkururin" refers to the sound of the waterwheel outside as we'll as to the sound of soba noodles being cut.
- address :
- 3018 Togakushi, Nagano City, Nagano Pref. 380-4101
- tel :
- (026)254-3773; Fax(026)254-3779
- url :
- hours :
- closed :
- 3rd Wednesday of the month and from early December to early April.
- cost :
- 3,240 yen per batch (1-4 people) + 250 yen per person. (1 person = 3490 yen, 4 people = 1,060 yen per person.)
- reservations :
- Required for groups of 15 or more. Telephone or fax with your name, contact number, requested date and time, and number of people.
- participants :